Saturday, October 08, 2005

The Basics



An update on Fulla: (see below)
My host family’s 8 year-old girl gets pretty happy every time a commercial for Fulla is on the TV or some Fulla related product enters her field of vision. Here’s the kicker – the family is Christian so I’m fairly sure her parents aren’t pushing her towards an ‘Islamic Barbie’; however, she has equal enthusiasm for Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. So I think the best one can say is: if you market it, they will come.

The Basics:

(for those stumbling upon this blog and don’t know the author)

1.0: I’m an American Graduate student (specializing in International Relations: Middle East) studying Arabic in Damascus for the year. And no, I’m not German so if you are in Damascus and you see me: please don’t start with the crazy German talk.

1.1: As opposed to Professor Josh Landis – author of a Syria blog that drops daily knowledge and insight, backed up with 20 plus years of study – I’m just getting my feet wet and don’t presume to know enough to really dig into Syrian politics in any meaningful way. And even, inshallah, if I did have something worthwhile to say, I don’t think I’m ready for Blog-Politics. So . . . . . . . . . . . if you want the meat, head to Professor Landis’ page, you want a lite-salad and maybe a side of humus; I’m your man.

And hence my blog –‘And some time take the time’ (see the inspiration for this title) – will serve as a random, rambling travel-blog with occasional political insights, mostly observational thoughts on my experiences in Syria; sometimes I might throw in some music opinions, odd stories, amateur photography, and occasional gaaarabge talking.

1.2 And no, I don’t know your cousin who used to live in Syria and now lives in New Jersey.

1.3 And no, I don’t feel that I’ve made my way to some unsafe country in the heart of the ‘war torn Middle East’ wherein beheadings and ass-kickings are supposedly par for the course. Rather, Damascus is very mellow – at least in terms of my survey of daily life. I don’t doubt that some things may or may not be shifting underneath and I don’t have the linguistic skills or the cultural wherewithal to decode them; however, in terms of pure safety, the most life-threatening thing I deal with is crossing the street. (Not to be taken lightly) Traffic is a nightmare but often entertaining, especially when nice cars nearly knock down houses while trying to navigate themselves through the narrow, crowded streets of the old city.


Here are some more jumbled thoughts for those of you still interested:

2.0 File Under Travel Suggestion:

Dear Tourists, if you are a non-Muslim traveling to the Middle East during Ramadan . . . PLEASE reframe from eating or smoking in public during the daylight hours. I don’t know if Zogby has polled Muslims on their attitudes on this or not but whatever. I just find it tacky and lame. So pick a restaurant that is open during daylight hours, sit down, eat, drink, smoke, become annoyed with the 9th Fairuz song in a row, and I promise that you won’t offend the guy with a crucifix tattoo on his hand. Unless you do or say something unbelievably stupid. Then shame on you.

PS
code name: kicky sack
I hate hacky sack however i bust out laughing everytime i say kicky sack to myself outloud - hence, kicky sack.

To friends and family:

Here are some pictures and basics – lacking my punchy and sardonic commentary – about my life here:

I live with a nice family in the Old City of Damascus. They are wonderful and sweet.

Tomorrow I’m going to go fight what I’ve been told to be the infinitely complex red-tape of the Syrian education system. I’m fairly certain some vaguely interesting narrative will come out of this . . .

My Arabic sometimes works and sometimes falls and fails completely. Mostly fails but sometimes I have actual exchanges with people.

I’m eating very well and enjoying myself a great deal. It already feels like home.

Look for more news/updates/pictures in the near future . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home