Saturday, October 29, 2005

A Quick List . . . .

Hello Dear reader: once again your faithful blogging monkey, kicky sack, has fallen ill.
I don't know what my deal is here but I'm poppin' Syrian pharmaceuticals like M&Ms - they seem to help until I fall ill again.

Anyway, here's a run down of some thoughts in no particular order. Believe it or not, I'm actually working on a real 'post' on my Mac laptop back at my place, however I'm not happy with what I have written and I've been blowing my nose all over my keyboard. In short, excuse my ramble - I wrote this on the run.

1. Beverly Hills Cop Theme Song, remixed and all over Syria:
If I have to hear this song one more time - I'm going to take a hostage. I hear this song in cars that thump (yes, they have that here as well) and bars that bump house-music. For some reason, the song makes me want to roll across the hoods of cars and sneak around buildings, gun drawn. It does not, however, make me want to dance, dance dance. Yes, I went to a club the other night. I hate clubs but I felt obligated to go to this Halloween thing; so I went. For some reason I always think that THIS time it will be different, that this time I might be able to have a conversation with someone or enjoy the music. HA. Never going to happen. Actually, I enjoyed dancing and going out in La Crosse, WI with my friends from my Arabic Program this summer; however, they don't play Prince and Sultana does not dance on the stairs in Damascus.

2. If Karl Rove gets some grand jury love - I'm going to have a 'Karl Rove got indicted Party' and have everyone dress-up as different symbolic counts against him: obstruction of justice, perjury, etc. YAY!

3. I had an exam today. Not hard. I'm not crazy about the program here - in terms of Arabic instruction - but have been lucky enough to find a great tutor. It looks like my official Arabic course will be secondary in importance and value as my private sessions.

4. Rave I: Please read Philip Roth's Plot Against America - Don't even get me started on how weird it is to be in a cafe in Damascus (during my first couple weeks here) and find myself in this fictional American Nightmare and the poke my head up and find myself in Damascus.

5. Rave II: Documentary Film entitled "War in Lebanon" . . . I managed to see the beginning of this recently and have nothing but great things to say about it. In depth, well written and directed with excellent guest commentators. And, hey Americans . . . if you watch it and then look at the DVD cover you might be shocked that it is Al Jazeera - because it has the tonality of PBS. (Somewhere, members of the GOP are taking this comparison the wrong way). Check out Arab Film Distribution - they sell copies of it. Well worth the price.

6. It rained today. I got super wet and had thoughts of wonderful Seattle. When it rains here, however, the city becomes a bit of an oil slick and traffic turns into a larger mess than usual.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home