Friday, January 06, 2006

The Political Death of Sharon

So last night I was at an internet cafe, looking over some recent world news headlines and I noticed "Sharon rushed to hospital" . . . of course, I did a double-take, thinking "didn't I just read that a few days ago?" Yes, this was his second visit and I had a sense that 'two strokes' in two weeks means that this might be big news. So rather than sleeping I stayed glued to the TV, going back and forth between Arabic News channels and BBC World. . . . . . Obviously, this is huge news in the region and many Syrians are talking about it. So, what is the vibe on the street? What is going on? Well, as always, it is hard to tell what Syrians are actually thinking but here's some quick reflections. I've not heard sorrow nor regret and I've even heard some happiness - however, I think that discussion of Sharon PRIOR to this recent event is quite revealing.

Oh, for dear readers that would like a bit more of a background on the man called the 'bulldozer' by his own people can check out this bio. Prior to last night, I've discussed prospects for peace with many Syrians - some of whom are displaced Palestinians themselves - and I was surprised to hear that while Sharon is universally hated and cursed by Syrians, many seemed to think that he might be the only person who could get Israel to make peace. Perhaps they were encouraged by the recent pull-out from Gaza. Perhaps the birth of a new Israeli party gave them hope. I don't know, honestly. Forgive him for the Sabra and Shatila massacre? Never. But a number of Syrians I spoke with were willing to say and think that perhaps the person you thought most unlikely to make peace is often the only person capable of delivering peace. Was this the case with Ariel Sharon? It looks like we will never know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home