Friday, May 19, 2006

Arabic Pop


A Survey of Arabic (Pop) . . .


Syrians - and perhaps the whole Arab world - consume an enormous amount of music. Unlike the privacy of ipods, recorded music here is very much a public affair, pouring out of homes, balconies, car stereos, restaurants, and little shops.

For those vaguely familiar with music in the Arab world, the following should be well known, however, it might surprise you, dear reader, if you haven't had the chance to travel to the Middle East. The two undisputed holy icons of Arabic music - Umm Kulthum and Fairuz - still have an amazing hold on the daily listening habits of the Arab world. In the widely used beginner Arabic text books in the US - Al-Kitaab - both singers are featured with information and a little sample of each. At the time, I didn’t understand the term famous in regards to Kulthum and Fairuz and considered the information on these two women as merely an educational tool and not so much as a cultural insight.

Let me be clear, these women are, as John Lennon stated at the height of Beatle-mania, we're bigger than Jesus . . . granted this isn't an impressive feat in the largely Muslim Arab world. Nonetheless, it is difficult for me to express how fully established these two singers are people's daily lives. Fairuz in the morning; Umm Kulthum at night; this is a common statement I've heard here. Everyone here - but me - can sing along with these songs. Following the death of Umm Kulthum, Cairo experienced the among the largest funerals in world history - four million people poured out into the streets. The United States has nothing, even close, to the fame of these two women. Sure, Beatle-mania was huge, but imagine if IT NEVER STOPPED and the screaming kids stopped screaming but didn't find new music, imagine if you still heard "A Hard Day's Night" and "Let it Be" regularly for the next 40 years.

New Arabic music, Arabic pop, is far from the glory days dismissed (but watched) by the older folks, but enjoyed more by the younger kids. That's another thing, the gaps in personal taste or generational listening demographics doesn't seem to be as pervasive here. Adults, grown-ups listen and watch the new, slick, MTV style pop music. Much different in the states wherein most folks over 40 don't want to listen to Jay-Z. HOVE!

No voice, no clothes. I've head this as a description of many of these singers (female) mostly coming from Lebanon but not entirely. Who's who of Arabic pop? Well, with 14 different music video channels (really, and I get limited/crappy satellite service) I've gotten a taste of some of the 'hot' Arabic pop these days. Here's a few Arab Pop Stars:

Nancy Ajram: She’s a cute little singer from Lebanon. Her new big song is Yatabtab Wa Dalla3 - yes, with a three - it makes sense in Arabic. Anyway, I think this translates to "Pat-Pat and Cuddle-Cuddle." I can't get this song out of my head. I like Nancy. She's not a huge talent or anything, but I find her fun. Nancy is signed with Coca-Cola and she's featured on Regular Coke cans here. She's the gal on this page in the red dress.

Haifa Wahbe: According to a Syrian friend of mine, women more or less hate Haifa. She's got the bad-girl vibe, distinct or opposite from Nancy.

Elissa: She's not bad and has a better voice than Nancy and Haifa. She's on Team-Pepsi and I've seen a commercial with her and the paragon of virtue and chastity, Christina Aguilera, singing and laughing and drinking Pepsi.

Amr Diab: According to an Arab-American friend of mine, Amr Diab is the ‘Ricky Martin of the Middle East.’ Although, to be fair, this guy has more staying power and perhaps talent, but does have that slick, greasy Ricky Martin way about him. Also signed with Team-Pepsi.

Ruby: Ruby is from Egypt. Here’s an article about how she’s pushing the envelope . . . although not musically like, say, an Arab Pop version of John Cage. Nope. She's closer to dancing in a Cage and looking for Johns than she is to 4"33". I don't think she has put any music out for a while - so maybe I'm behind the trend on this one.




Two Thoughts on Music before I depart:

1. I've noticed that a full credit reel follows every music video produced in the Arab world. Not only are we told the name of the director as well as the entire musical production team, but we are also kindly given the name of the catering company, gaffer, and big boy.


2.
(AN OPEN LETTER TO SYRIA)

Dear Syria:

I love your country. I've had a wonderful time here and I consider it my adopted home. I'm several months from leaving and I'm already sad that I have to go. HOWEVER, I have one minor request.

I've been subjected to the song CARELESS WHISPER by WHAM every other day since I've been here: I'm talking at least four to five times a week. I wish this was hyperbole, but sadly I've started counting.

NOTE TO READER *I'm also counting the acoustic or instrumental cover of this song in my poll.

Anyway, I cannot express how much I hate this song. I didn't like it the first time I heard it, but enough is enough already. Wham released this song almost 20 years ago. This needs to stop. Now. Please. I like Arabic Music - please play Arabic music!

Thank you,

KickySack

1 Comments:

Blogger Bridget said...

Right on, on all points. I've never seen such an accurate, succinct telling of the Arab music scene how it is.

Nancy bugs, big time.

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home